Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The story behind Gomery (3)

In the early morning of Monday, January 24, I posted another major entry on my blog. This entry goes to the heart of my story and tells people what my story is all about, i.e., racism and bigotry.

Mulroneyites

In the afternoon, I called Mr. McRae. He sounded completely different from the previous week. He was extremely friendly and excited about working on my story, saying that he was going to call me "in a couple of days" for us to meet. I guess my morning blog helped.

(He did ask me a strange question a couple of times: Where did I stay? As I had told MacAdam my number at the homeless shelter before, my sense was that he knew it already. In retrospect, he was simply suggesting that I should make that information public on my blog.)

Of course, he did not call me back. This is because, as I now know, the immediate reactions from the Chretien camp. (In MacAdam's January 30 column, "public enemy No. 1" was the catch phrase. I later understand that Mulroney was often referred to as Chretien's public enemy No.1, or vice versa.)

Chretienites

Warren Kinsella's attack on me was immediate. See the first of his many blog entries on January 25 with a picture whose meaning I have described here. (Indeed, his blogging activities on that single day were probably heavier than those of the previous week combined.)

The next day, he started a "blog war" with Norman Spector, whose blog I read very often, and who was labeled by Kinsella as a "Mulroney crony".

Also on the next day, lawyers for Jean Chretien called on Judge John Gomery to step down. It was immediately in the news.

It's also interesting to note that Kinsella unilaterally declared a truce with Paul Martin in his January 26 blog. He was apparently disappointed when Martin decided to support Gomery in dealing with Chretien's challenge, which was a no-brainer politically. See Kinsella's January 28 blog entry for his disappointment. In terms of dealing with me, I guess Martin does not need Kinsella as he has the whole MSM in his palms.

MSM

MSM immediately jumped on me again, to defend their political master Paul Martin. Without any help, I fought alone, as reflected in my early February blogs. Detailed may be added later. But the following were examples.

For example, I made mistakes in my abovementioned blog in the usage of Liberal and liberal. In his February 3 column on National Post, Adam Radwanski writes: "For doing the liberal thing, rather than the Liberal thing, the government deserves the respect if not the approval of its opponents." Well, I was embarrassed. (See also Kinsella's January 28 blog entry about Claire Hoy, "nemesis of Liberals and liberals everywhere". – Also, Kinsella appeared to imitate my (bad) writing style of using brackets.)

Another example. After this major blog, I sent out many emails to editors of smaller community newspapers. Kinsella appeared to know that. See his January 30 blog entry where the hyperlink pointed to a news organization to which I sent an email.